Historical Facts and Myths of Briar Creek Borough

From the Archives of Many

Webpage under Construction
Back to Home Page


History and Biographical Annals of Columbia and Montour Counties by J. H. Beers, 1915 (Through Penn State's Digital Bookshelf.)
BRIAR CREEK
Borough Incorporated March 19, 1917

Near the mouth of Briar creek is a village bearing that name, consisting of about fifteen neat residences, a store, a gristmill and a distillery. The gristmill was built about 1820 by Jesse Bowman and burned in 1874, soon after coming into the hands of George Ruckle and Charles Ash. They rebuilt it that year and ran it until 1880, when Ruckle's interest was purchased by George W. Ash. Thereafter he and his father operated the mill until 1890. At that date it came into the hands of A. M. and W. C. Ash, sons of George W. It is a large building, fitted with modern machinery, operated by a 12-foot overshot wheel, and has a capacity of I25 barrels of flour per day. The Briar Creek Distillery was built in 1883 by George W. and William Ash. In 1886 George W. Ash ran it alone and in 1906 sold to James Barrett, who now has remodeled the entire plant and carries on a wholesale business in connection. The capacity of the distillery is four barrels of rye whiskey per day. The general store and post office at Briar Creek is conducted by W. S. Ash & Sons. Briar Creek post office was established in 1858, just after the opening of the Lackawanna & Bloomsburg railroad. John G. Jacoby was the first postmaster. Near here are the large sales stables and farm of Elmer Shaffer, who holds monthly auctions which are attended by buyers from all over Columbia, Montour and surrounding counties.

Related Links

Columbia County Historical and Genealogical Society
The official Historical Society
of Columbia County

Genealogical Information
courtesy of Terri Cook and the USGenWeb Project

Excerpts from J.H. Battle's 1887 History of Columbia and Montour Counties, Pennsylvania
courtesy of Terri Cook and the USGenWeb Project

Pennsylvania State Historical and Museum Commission

Columbia County History